Easy to make moist and crumbly interior and golden crunchy exterior corn flour cookies. These corn flour cookies can be made in less than 60 minutes with ingredients readily available in your kitchen/ pantry.
If you have been following @akitcheninuganda on social media, then you know that last week I was a presenter at the Culinary Institute of America‘s 22nd Annual Worlds of Flavor Virtual Conference and Festival where I talked about Ugandan food. To watch the replay of my presentation, follow this link here.
Remember this cornbread I shared a few months back? Well, I am back with its cousin in form of a cookie. This cookie feels like a warm hug on a cold day. Think of your favorite meal when it has rained non-stop and the weather is miserable and gloomy. Yes this cookie feels like that! And it doesn’t need any elaborate set of ingredients to make. The corn flour (maize flour) adds a warm rich and crumbly texture to the cookie. I made it twice in a span of 24 hours because it is that good.
Warm and Delicious Maize (Corn) Cookie Recipe
What you will need:
1 C. Corn flour/Maize Flour
2 C. Wheat flour
1 C. Powdered milk
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Butter /margarine
1 Tsp. Black pepper
1/2 Tsp. Allspice/Cloves
Handful of raisins (optional)
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Vanilla essence
2 Tsp. Lemon/lime juice
1/2 Tsp. Baking soda
- I used yellow maize four. You can use white maize flour which works equally well.
- You can easily double the ingredients to make more cookies.
- I added raisins since they are what I had available. You can add chocolate chips as well.
- When the cookies are done baking they will be soft. Wait for them to cool down and harden.
- Sift all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- In a separate bowl, beat (whisk) the sugar and butter till loose and fluffy
- Add the eggs to the beaten sugar and butter and mix well.
- Next add the vanilla and lemon juice and mix.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients (i.e. the mixed flours) into the whipped butter and egg mixture while mixing. A firm dough should form when all the flour is used up.
- Using a spoon/ ice cream scoop or your hands, form balls from the dough and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 25-30 at 300 degrees F
- Yields 15+ cookies
Use #AkitchenInUg to share your creations.
3 thoughts on “Warm and Delicious Maize (Corn) Cookies”
I just saw a box cookie mix to make this type of cookie at the store the other day for the first time. I have never heard of it before but it sounds really good! I will have to try your recipe. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
That is so cool Renee! Let me know how it goes.