So glad you stopped by. Grab a cup of something and read on.
A Kitchen In Uganda (AKIU) is a place that celebrates the art of preparing food, exploring Ugandan food histroy and fusing foods. It is where you will find recipes and food stories inspired by life in the beautiful Pearl of Africa. AKIU mainly focuses on fusing foods from different cultures across the globe with either Ugandan cuisine, or ingredients found in the country and the neighbouring countries and regions. I believe Uganda is the best place to be for a cook/chef because of the amazing wide variety of local ingredients you can work with.
If you are the creative type and love experimenting in the kitchen and exploring new cuisines, then A Kitchen In Uganda is the right place for you. I believe that preparing food is an art that we all learn. Experimenting with a certain ingredient till you get a desired outcome is what this blog is about; to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone and be creative and to also appreciate the abundance of local ingredients surrounding us.
AKIU was started after realizing there is so much that Uganda has to offer in terms of local ingredients and the uniqueness of our cuisine which is heavily influenced by colonial Britain and India. It is this influence that is the basis of fusion cooking which we are proud of as Ugandans.
I am Sophia (mostly go by Sophie) Musoki, the girl behind this blog and I am from Kasese, Western Uganda. I have always been fascinated by the art of cooking, the history of food as we know it and food photography. When I am not in the kitchen, you can find me daydreaming of what to cook next. This blog is a personal journal of tried, successful and failed experiences of a foodie.
I believe in the power food has to bring people of all walks together. My family and some friends are official tasters and reviewers of dishes I make and are victims of the failures (They are the hand models in the pictures!). I make all the food posted here, unless otherwise stated, and with the help of my family, shoot for and manage this blog. Take your time and have a look around. I hope you are inspired and find a recipe to try for yourself and don’t forget to follow.
To keep up with updates on the blog, subscribe and follow AKIU on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest and Instagram. (the links are in the right side bar).
If you have any questions, simply want to say hi or would like to work with me send me and email: akitcheninuganda[at]gmail[dot]com
“Learn how to cook…try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all, have fun” -Julia Child
- All content is copyright © A Kitchen in Uganda and may not be used or republished without permission.
- Please contact me to request permission. Permission is not guaranteed just because you’ve asked; it depends on the nature of your request.
- All of my photographs, including those posted on AKIU’s social media outlets are copyright © A Kitchen in Uganda and may not be used without permission. Photographs which I have posted on my social media accounts may be shared/re-shared by you on your own personal or business social media accounts – on condition that you provide credit and link back to my social media account(s) or my blog. For example, if you share my photo(s) on your Facebook page, please ensure you link back to my Facebook page. If you regram on Instagram, please ensure you link back to my Instagram username.
- Please do not use filters or alter the appearance of my photographs when sharing/re-sharing on social media.
- Please contact me if you wish to discuss licensing/use of any of my images for your commercial or marketing purposes
NOTE: This blog includes only my own opinions. It is also not intended to be a diet plan, although I try my best to post healthy recipes, please talk to your Doctor for medical or dietary advice. Unless otherwise stated, all images and content are my original material. If you would like to use any of my images, please ask me first by sending me an email. But feel free…absolutely free to share, tweet and pin away. If I have posted something of yours that you would like taken down, contact me and it will be removed right away. Thanks