Easy to make moist and crumbly interior and golden crunchy exterior 10 ingredient cornbread. This cornbread can be made in less than 60 minutes with ingredients readily available in your kitchen/ pantry.
While the world is falling down the banana bread making rabbit hole, I am still on the edge because I have no bananas on me (where do y’all get bananas?) And even if I had them, I would eat them immediately before even thinking of making the bread. So I have instead resorted to making the next best thing: cornbread. We all have maize in our pantries/ stores and this bread is so easy to put together. And believe me when I say that it is possibly the easiest bread you will ever have to make because it uses pantry staples like flour, maize, baking powder and sugar and in an hour’s time, you will have the bread ready. So next time you feel bad for not having bananas to make banana bread, make this cornbread instead. You will not regret it.
Easy to Make Moist and Delicious Cornbread Recipe
What you will need:
1 C. Corn/maize flour
2 C. Wheat flour
1 1/3 C. Milk
3 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Baking powder
1/2 Tsp. Lemon zest
1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
- I used yellow maize four. You can use white maize flour as well.
- You can easily double the ingredients to make two loaves.
- The bread keeps well in the fridge.
- Add maize/corn, wheat flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix well.
- Next pour oil and milk in the dry mix. Crack the egg in and mix well. You can use a whisk to further mix the batter till it is smooth and without flour bubbles.
- Grate some lemon zest and cheese (optional) into the batter and mix well.
- Grease your baking pan with butter/margarine and pour the batter into the pan. Grate some more cheese on top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. The loaf will rise, crack and have a golden yellow exterior when done.
This bread is good on its own, with tea or with your favorite stew. I personally like eating it with a rich bean stew like this one.
Share your creations using the #AkitchenInUg on social media.