Move over Irish and sweet potato chips. You have a new rival! YAM. The purple kind. The kind which melts in your mouth. The kind when cooked and served alongside groundnut stew or beef stew is one of the perfect meals you will ever have. Yes that Yam. While doing my research, I found out yam has a lot of names in different places. This kind of yam is popular in central Uganda although there are many other varieties and species in the country.
I don’t always eat out
because this homebody life but when I do, I always want to recreate meals I eat in restaurants at home. Now this epic snack meal has two major ingredients: Yams and Cheese because you can never go wrong with cheese and because yam is just a wonderful alternative to Irish and sweet potatoes. The sharp cheddar adds a savoury taste to the crunchy yam chips creating multiple layers of textures.
One of the things that make these chips so good is that they have a unique earthy (-ish) taste that is quite hard to describe. If you have eaten these yams you know what I mean. Now that these yam chips are just the perfect snack, I went bigger and melted Cheddar cheese from Paramount Dairies on them sprinkled some herbs and garnished with fresh from the garden sweet cherry tomatoes. This is the perfect snack! In fact it is the ultimate snack I tell you. Best advice is buy as much yam as you can, peel it and cut it into chips, freeze and whenever you feel like chips, get those yams out and get busy. You should absolutely make these chips
What you will need:
1 Kilo Yams
200 gm Cheddar cheese
Tomato ketchup (optional)
Parsley for garnish
- When you buy the yams, make sure they do not touch water. This is because they release a substance that when it comes in contact with your skin will cause itchiness.
- When peeling the yams, I recommend wearing gloves if you have them but a plastic will work well too. This is to avoid any form of itchiness. Again strictly stay away from any form of water.
- Peel the yams and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- When your hands are still covered wash the yams and pat dry with a towel.
- Cut the yams into chips
- Fry the chips till slightly golden brown
- Sprinkle salt on the fried chips
- Melt cheddar
- Slice the tomatoes
- Arrange chips on plate/tray.
- Pour melted cheddar
- Add the tomatoes
- Sprinkle with parsley
- Serve warm.
What are you waiting for? Make sure to use #AkitchenInUg to share your creations.