It is official Caramel is my new favourite flavour! Way back in high school there was this caramel popcorn that we used to always make sure that we had at break time. Perfectly crunchy popcorn with a generous coating of browned caramel. it was addictive. Now popcorn is a huge deal here. There are a ton of popcorn machines in the taxi park and I am always tempted to buy a bag every time I am there. popcorn has been in our family for as long as I can remember. We have this thick cast iron pot with a lid that we use to make popcorn. It keeps and distributes the heat well.
So for the love of popcorn and caramel, I wanted to recreate this caramel popcorn that I used to eat over 5 years ago. Popcorn is fairly easy to make and so is caramel. You need only three basic ingredients: cream, sugar and butter/margarine. With Paramount Dairies Whipping cream, you will be able to make rich well-flavoured caramel easily. And since caramel is so easy to make (Why did not I know this before?) I thought combining the two would create a delightful and surprising dessert or snack really! And it did.
What you will need:
1 C. Sugar
½ C. Whipping Cream
1 Tbsp. Butter/margarine
1 Tsp vanilla
¼ C. Water
500 gm. Popcorn kernels
¼ C. Oil
- Make sure the cream is at room temperature
- To make good popcorn, use a pan that has a lid or find one that can fit on the pan well to keep all the heat inside
- In a clean sauce pan, combine sugar, water, vanilla and butter. Place on medium fire and let the sugar slowly melt.
- Once the sugar has completely melted, increase the fire and let the sugar syrup brown to a caramel colour.
- Once it has browned, add the cream and mix well. Remove from fire before the caramel gets very burnt.
- Place the kernels in a bowl. Pour in the oil and mix well
- On high heat. Place pan. Add about 3-4 tablespoons of popcorn. Cover the pan and let the corn pop.
- Once it stops popping, remover from fire immediately.
- Repeat the process till you have popped all the corn.
- Once you have the popcorn, pour in the caramel while it is still hot.
- Pour while mixing to make sure all the puffs are coated with the caramel.
- Sprinkle some salt.
- Wait for the caramel to harden . About 5-10 minutes.
The best flavoured popcorn! It’s true that caramel is addicting. I almost. ALMOST made a batch to just eat out of the jar. Almost.
This post is made possible by Paramount Dairies. You can find Whipping Cream and more cream products in major supermarkets in Kampala. Thank you for supporting brands I believe in.