December is upon us! I feel like I say this every time a new month approaches. It is only because time is really flying by so fast and I cannot keep up! Can you believe that in less than 30 days we will be in 2019. I cannot believe it yet! The festivities are officially in full swing. Even I can feel it. I ended up making steamed cinnamon rolls(I don’t have an oven) in the middle of last week in my InstaStories. Follow me on Instagram (@akitcheninuganda) to see more of the behind the scenes and random musings. Anyhow in the spirit of the holidays, I present you with this pumpkin and egg fried rice. This fried rice is ideal for a quick meal fix or for brunch because it is honestly easy to put together. If you have some pumpkin in your kitchen, you have to try this.
What you will need:
2 C. Pumpkin, cubed
4 C. Cooked rice
2 Large Eggs
1 Large Green pepper, diced
1 Large onion, diced,
1 Tsp. Garlic, minced
1 Tsp. Ginger, minced
1 Tbsp. Soy sauce
1 Spring of thyme
1 Tbsp. Oil
- I used a young pumpkin with a tender cover. If your pumpkin has a hard cover, you will have to remove it.
- This is how I made my rice. If you have a variety of vegetables, you can add them for more texture and flavor.
- Aside from thyme, garlic, ginger and black pepper, I didn’t add any more spices. The rice is colored yellow from the pumpkin.
- Place pan on medium heat. Add Oil.
- Next add the cubed pumpkin and the sprig of thyme. Let the pumpkin shallow fry.
- While pumpkin is cooking, crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk them.
- Once the pumpkin has cooked through (this may take 5 – 7 minutes) remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan and flavored oil, make scrambled eggs.
- Return the pumpkin to the pan with the scrambled eggs.
- Next add the onion, garlic, ginger and green pepper. Mix till an aroma is released. Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Next add the rice and mill till well incorporated.
- Serve hot.
What are your plans this December?
Use the #AkitchenInUg to share your creations.