PS: For the most current bagiya recipe and video, check this post out
I have, for the longest time, wondered whether dessert or anything baked/fried can be made from maize flour alone with out adding any other flour like wheat. And my recipes with maize flour on its own have failed because maize flour does not have gluten to bind it when water is added. This little triumphant experiment started out as me wanting to make churros because they seem extremely easy to make and ended up into these sweet bagiya because I have no other name for them really. Also because the sweet aroma of lemon grass is irresistible. I borrowed the churro making method but instead used plain maize flour. These sweet bagiyas are a fun and useful way to utilize your maize flour and they make a great easy to make snack. I could not stop munching away at these.
What you will need:
1 C. Maize flour
1 C. Water
1 Tbsp. Butter/margarine
3 Tbsp. Sugar
A handful of lemon grass leaves
½ Tsp. Vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
Oil for frying
- If you are using a plastic, like I did, cut a small hole at the corner of the plastic and pipe your batter into the hot oil.
- If you are using a piping gun, select a nozzle with the tiniest hole and attach it to the gun.
- Wait for the mixture to cool down before adding the egg so that the egg does not cook.
- Make sure the heat is medium because maize flour burns easily.
- Do not over crowd the pan.
- Add water to a saucepan and add the lemon grass.
- On high heat, bring the water to a boil.
- In a bowl, add maize flour, sugar and salt and mix.
- Once the water has boiled and has released a sweet fragrant aroma, remove from fire and sieve the lemongrass leaves.
- Pour the hot water immediately into the flour mixture and mix until there is no flour visible.
- Add the vanilla and butter and mix well.
- Set the mixture aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- After the ‘posho’ has cooled down, add the egg and mix till a clear batter is achieved.
- Place your batter in a plastic/Piping gun and pipe into hot oil.
- Fry the bagiya till golden brown.
- Remove the bagiya from the oil and drain.
Let them cool then snack away!