For most of us pizza lovers, there are times when we wish we had pizza for every meal of every day. Wouldn’t that be splendid? But then reality hits and we realize as much as we want this dream to happen it is impossible. Almost. There is still the task of perfecting pizza dough, having great cheese at hand at all times and waiting for that pizza to get ready. We all realize we don’t have time, enough time for that luxury. Again, almost.
I am always dreaming of fabulous brunch parties and in those parties, there will be scrumptious foods that if I started naming them, this would never end. Those parties would include the brunch pizza sandwich because to me that is the epitome of a lazy but fulfilling brunch. Sandwiches are so satisfying depending on how they are crafted because one ingredient can make or break a sandwich (story of my life). With the wish to eat pizza daily and the lack of time to make one, I introduce you to the pizza sandwich. It is basically everything pizza on a slice of bread. Once I discovered this, now every sandwich is a new adventure.
I partnered with Paramount Dairies to create this brunch pizza sandwich. Paramount Dairies makes good quality cheese in Uganda. Aside from their mozzarella (which I used for this recipe) they have a wide variety of cheeses to choose from to make your meal extra special. Now, let us make sandwiches.
What you will need:
1 Loaf of bread
Paramount Mozzarella Cheese
2 C. Oyster Mushrooms, shredded
½ Avocado, peeled
6 Large Tomatoes, chopped
2 Large green papers, thinly sliced
3 Large purple onions, thinly sliced
Spring onions, chopped
1 Tsp. Ginger, crushed and chopped
1 Tsp. Garlic, crushed and chopped
1 Tbsp. Cooking Oil
Ground black pepper/ chili flakes
- I preferred using a non-sliced loaf so that I can slice it myself and determine the thickness.
- Any kind of mushrooms will work but I prefer fresh oyster mushrooms for their flavor.
- Make sure you have cut all the vegetables to go on top of the bread.
- Make sure you grate a generous amount of cheese on the sandwiches to get maximum flavor.
- I use an oven toaster, the temperature may be different if you are using an oven.
- Another alternative (when ovens are out of the picture) is to use a saucepan on high heat. For a non-stick pan, just place the sandwich carefully in the pan on high heat and cover it. Wait till the cheese melts and then remove from fire. For a non-nonstick pan, add a teaspoon of either butter or margarine for every sandwich.
On high fire, put a saucepan and add oil. Add the garlic, ginger and salt and wait for it to brown a little. Next, add the mushrooms and keep stirring them till they slightly turn brownish. This will take 5-7 minutes. Add the black pepper or chili flakes. Remove the mushrooms from fire and set aside.
Slice the bread according to your desired thickness. Arrange the tomatoes on top of the bread slices, add the sautéed mushrooms, the sliced green papers, the sliced onions and top with a generous amount of grated mozzarella.
For the avocado sandwich, top the bread with tomatoes, then slice the avocado on top. Make sure the avocado slices are thin. Next, top with onions, and grate mozzarella on top. Garnish with spring onions.
Bake the sandwiches till the cheese melts. Serve Warm.
Get creative with your meals by purchasing Paramount cheese from a major supermarket near you. Also, there is a special offer off of paramount mozzarella. Check out their Facebook Page for more information.
What do you think about brunch and what is your ideal brunch like?